Road rash and car accidents are an unfortunate yet frequently occurring event that can bring huge financial loss as well as injuries. But if you get a professional help who will not only repair your car but also deal with insurance agencies then you can mentally relax and recover faster and this is what is done by accident repair centre. But you must be professional in choosing and dealing with an accident repair centre so that you are not taken for a ride!
Follow the tips of professionals so that you get the maximum value for your money. The things to keep in mind include:
- Don’t get carried away: You are the one to choose a car repair shop and not your insurer. Therefore, when your insurance carrier insists on a specific repair shop, suspect and avoid it. There is no legal rule that you must get your damaged car repairs for such shops. The insurance carrier has to pay you anyways.
- Compare price: Compare the price and service packages of different repair centers. This will give you a fair idea and help you to choose the best repair shop.
- Qualifications: Review the qualifications and advanced technician training of the workers from different national organizations such as the Inter-Industry Conference on Auto Collision Repair or the National Institute for Automotive Service Excellence.
Registration: Look for membership in different industry associations such as the Alliance of Automotive Service Professionals and others and also see whether they provide warranty for their jobs.
- References: When you choose a repair center you must rely heavily on the word-of-mouth which is the best and most effective advertisement of a reliable and reputable shop. It is better to choose a shop that your friends, family or acquaintances recommend rather than a one that advertises through glossy billboards at prominent places.
- Location: Apart from that, you must also consider the location of the accident repair centre. It is recommended that you choose one that is nearby so that you do not have to pay for towing expense a lot and drive a long way back home when the car is repaired. Both will increase your cost unnecessarily.
- Hidden cost: Cost of overheads and hidden costs are some other factors that you should consider. Make sure that the estimate given is on paper and each part is explained clearly. Ask if you are in doubt. Choose an accident repair centre that does not have more front office folks and managers. This will raise your cost with non-essential work.
- Reputation: Lastly, check the reputation of the accident repair centre at Better Business Bureau at bbb.org.
Dealing with the shop
Now that you have chosen the best accident repair centre after through research you must know how to deal with them professionally. There is a checklist to follow:
- Ask for a copy of the itemized repair order. This will prevent issues later and also prove that a specific item is covered by the guaranty or warranty of the shop.
- Know about the repairs that are approved by the insurance company and those that are not covered in the original estimate.
- Also know that it is your responsibility to pay the repair cost to the shop. Therefore, if the insurance company gives a settlement check to both you and the lienholder, it is your responsibility to get it endorsed by the lienholder.
To conclude, here is an additional tip. Always insist on a tour of the accident repair centre while checking. If you have a look at the facility you will know how organized they are at work, proficient in handling the cars, the tools and techniques used and how they behave with the customers. All this will ensure a proper value in return to your money.