1. A vibration occurs while driving a vehicle with an automatic transmission at normal speeds. This vibration does not occur during a stall test. Which of these is the cause.
2. There is a whining noise coming from the front of the transmission that increases with engine speed. This noise is present in all gears including park and neutral. The most likely cause of this is the:
3. An automatic transmission slips only when cold. As the vehicle warms up to operating temperature the transmissions performance returns to normal. Which of these is the cause?
4. Technician A says to clean the valve body with solvent and a lint free cloth. Technician B says if a spool valve is bent it can be straightened and reused. Who is correct?
5. During a transmission fluid check the technician notices the ATF is milky in appearance. The is caused by which of the following?
6. Two technicians are discussing shift feel. Technician A says a problem with the accumulator will create hard shifting. Technician B says a restricting orifice/check ball restricts the amount of fluid flow providing a smoother shift feel. Who is correct?
7. Technician A says that a shift solenoid is a hydraulically controlled device used by the transmission for shift control. Technician B says shift solenoids are computer controlled devices that can be diagnosed with a scanner. Who is correct?
8. Technician A says a relay uses low current to control a high current circuit. Technician B says a relay may be electromechanical or solid state. Who is correct?
9. Technician A says that the VSS (vehicle speed sensor) is driven by the input shaft of an automatic transmission. Technician B says that the parking pawl engages the input shaft to lock an automatic transmission. Who is correct?
10. Technician A says that a TP (throttle position) sensor is actually a potentiometer. Technician B says that as the throttle plate moves the resistance in the TP sensor changes. Who is correct?
11. Technician A says a brake band is a stopping and holding device. Technician B says that hydraulic pressure is used to activate the servo and spring assembly in the brake band circuit. Who is correct?
12. Automatic Transmissions use all of these pressures for shift control except:
13.Technician A says a TR sensor (Transmission Range Sensor) can be tested using an ohmmeter. Technician B says an improperly adjusted neutral safety switch can prevent a vehicle from starting. Who is correct?
14. An excessive clunk is felt when placing an automatic transaxle into gear. Technician A says this could be excessive deflection in the final drive chain. Technician B says this could be worn universal joints. Who is correct?
15. All of these are types of transmission oil pumps except.
16. Most modern transmissions use computerized electronics to control shift quality and timing. Technician A says the EPC (electronic pressure control) regulates line pressure according to engine speed and torque. Technician B says the EPC is a variable force solenoid. Who is correct?
17. A vehicle lacks power when accelerating from a stop. Technician A says this could be caused by chipped teeth on the pinion gears. Technician B says the one-way stator clutch may be slipping. Who is correct?
18. Which member of the planetary gear set has internal teeth?
19. Two technicians are discussing a vehicles torque converter. Technician A says if the torque converters hub has any imperfections it should be replaced. Technician B says the depth of the torque converter into the case should be measured before removal. Who is correct?
20. Technician A says the MAP is for the engine and has nothing to do with transmission shift control. Technician B says the MAF sensor provides information about engine load to the TCM (transmission control module) and is important for TCM shift control. Who is correct?
21. Technician A says an internal transmission cooler is cooled by the engines cooling system. Technician B says if the transmission fluid appears pink and milky the transmission has been overheated and oxidation has occurred. Who is correct?
22. Two technicians are discussing a valve body. Technician A says the separator plate blocks off some passages while allowing fluid to flow in others. Technician B says the seat for a ball-type check valve may be located in the separator plate. Who is correct?
23. Technician A says a transmission fluid temperature sensor is a thermistor. Technician B says a scan tool and an ohmmeter can be used to diagnose a TFT sensor. Who is correct?
24. Technician A says the transmission control module uses the engine coolant temperature sensor for torque converter clutch control. Technician B says the TCM only uses signals from sensors and switches on or in the transmission. Who is correct?
25. An automatic transaxle loses pressure as it shifts from first to second gear. Technician A says this could be caused by the piston seal. Technician B says this could be caused by a stuck servo. Who is correct?