1. A vacuum gauge is connected to the intake manifold of an engine. The needle fluctuates between (15 in. and 20 in. Hg) at idle. This reading indicates:
2. One of a cylinder heads valve tips is much higher than the others. The most likely cause of this is:
3. Two technicians are discussing a ballooned oil filter. What is the most likely cause of this condition:
4. Technician A says that torque to yield bolts can always be reused. Technician B says that torque to yield bolts can be reused as long as they are cleaned and oiled before they are re-installed and torqued. Who is correct?
5. The best tool for checking crankshaft end-play is a:
6. A vehicles cooling system is loosing coolant. There is major corrosion around the aluminum water pump. Which of these are the most likely cause.
7. A technician installs a radiator pressure tester on the radiator of a cold engine. After starting the engine the pressure quickly rises to 18 psi. Technician A says this is a normal condition. Technician B says the engine may have a leaking cylinder head gasket. Who is correct?
8. Two Technicians are discussing the PCV system on an engine. Technician A says a stuck closed PCV valve could cause engine oil seals to leak. Technician B says that the PCV system functions to allow the blow-by gases from the crankcase to flow into the intake manifold for re-combustion. Who is correct?
9. An OHC engine has recently had the cylinder head replaced. The engine runs rough and stumbles. Technician A says this may be caused by the valve timing. Technician B says it is more likely the head gasket bolts do not have enough torque. Who is correct?
10. A vehicle has heavy white smoke emitting from its tailpipe at all engine speeds. The cause of this problem is:
11. Technician A says a worn valve spring may float at high RPM's. Technicain B says valve float will result in a worn valve seat. Who is correct?
12. A vehicle briefly blows bluish/gray smoke from the tailpipe only when first started in the mourning. The most likely cause of this condition is:
13. Technician A says an engines main bearing insert has a hole that must align with the matching bores oil supply hole. Technician B says that crankshaft bore alignment can be checked with a feeler gauge and a straightedge. Who is correct?
14. A cylinder power balance test is being performed on a vehicle with sequential fuel infection. Two adjacent cylinders are under performing. Technician A says this could be due to a faulty head gasket. Technician B says this could be due to leaking secondary insulation. Who is correct? Who is correct?
15. Two technicians are discussing hydraulic lifter preload. Technician A says excessive preload will cause high manifold vacuum. Technician B says insufficient preload will cause excessive valve train noise. Who is correct?
16. Technician A says the valves in many interference engines open further into the combustion chamber that than those of a non-interference engine. Technician B says if the timing belt were to break in an interference engine due to a seized bearing or water pump, damage to the valves or pistons may occur. Who is correct?
17. Technician A says a flex fan will increase its pitch at higher engine speeds. Technician B says a viscous fan clutch contains a silicon based fluid and should be checked for leaks. Who is correct?
18. Two technicians are discussing the engine coolant temperature sensor. Technician A says this sensor will affect the torque converter clutch application. Technician B says this sensor will affect the engines fuel mixture. Who is correct?
19. A spark plug is removed and compressed shop air is introduced to the #1 cylinder while at TDC. Bubbles are seen coming out of the radiator neck. The most likely cause is:
20. A vehicle has a clogged catalytic converter. The least likely cause of this is.
21. Two technicians are performing a wet compression test on a four cylinder engine, one of the cylinders is low and stays the same after adding oil. Technician A says the engine needs piston rings. Technician B says the engine has a faulty valve. Who is correct?
22. Technician A says the engines main caps should be replaced in the same order they are removed. Technician B says a worn thin thrust bearing will result in excessive crankshaft end-play. Who is correct?
23. A compression test is being performed on a vehicle. The #1 cylinder is 30lbs. lower than the rest. The pressure increases after injecting oil into the cylinder. Technician A says that excessive carbon buildup is the cause of this condition. Technician B says this test indicates one of the cylinders valves may be defective. Who is correct?
24. Technician A says the ridge must be removed before installing new pistons. Technician B says a ridge reamer is used. Who is correct?
25. During a cylinder leakage test air bubbles appear coming from the radiator neck. Technician A says this may be caused by a leaking intake valve. Technician B says the engine may have a crack in the engine block. Who is correct?